[squeak-dev] Future of Squeak, and outsider's view

Cameron Sanders csanders.personal at functional-analyst.com
Tue Jun 30 05:28:55 UTC 2009

You're right. And I have a similar situation in some of my code right
now, which is why i piped up earlier.  I have two or three examples in
my code. The first is a container (financial series) that holds
Numbers or something else. Under mathematical operations, my financial
series will operate on the numbers only, and simply replace anything
else with a FaNullDatum (singleton) -- FaNullDatum has its own
printing/display methods, and it knows nothing about mathematical
operations.

A second example in my code addresses what is mentioned below. But for
this aspect, I know that all of the candidate objects were defined
under a certain tree that implements a #canCompute: method, or that
objects wishing to be substituted will implement the method. That way
I don't have to worry about how it is implemented (e.g.
#doesNotUnderstand:) and whether it will be in the method dictionary.

So... obviously, "existing" objects can be substituted... but now I am
re-thinking the generality of these objects. Perhaps I can loosen this
constraint -- even though I am not convinced it would ever matter for
my situation. (Mine are FinancialAnalyst objects that know how to
operate on my set of financial data keys.)

... i need to look into Traits.

Ciao,
Cam