Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: [squeak-dev] The future of Squeak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT license clean))

Ian Trudel ian.trudel at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 16:58:17 UTC 2009

2009/6/30 Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>:
> How about getting them young, when the kids are not yet brain-washed into
> how a "proper" edit-compile-run-crash development environment looks like?
> Say, by making a cool shiny toy environment that lets them start to play,
> and once they reach its limits, show them how to open the hood and program
> actual Smalltalk? That toy environment could initially be developed by a
> handful of engineers, but it would need a whole community to keep it
> up-to-date and make it truly useful for "grownup" tasks too. Now there's an
> idea ...
>
> - Bert -

o_O.

Bert, are you serious?

Enough with the children! It's been done and redone and overdone. The
past and the future confounded. Why can't we live the present living?
You're talking about something that might (or might not) produce
engineers in the next, say, 20 years? Smalltalk will be around 50
years by then. I find it painful that our community wouldn't be a
little bit more practical, for a change..

Right here, right now.

Ian.

PS: I am so sorry... I don't even have spare children to furiously
train on Squeak...

--
http://mecenia.blogspot.com/