[squeak-dev] #leadingChar (Re: The future of Squeak & Pharo))

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Tue Jun 30 17:33:48 UTC 2009

At Tue, 30 Jun 2009 09:56:38 +0200,
Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> #at: is not one of them, language tags should not be skipped just like
> soft hyphens (U+00AD, also known as hyphenation hint) should not.

  If #at: should return a printable character, then the resulting
character (really a String) with proper language tag(s) externally
associated should be returned from #at:.  And you need to look for the
tag, right?  And #at:put:, (or replaceFrom:to:...), putting a String
with language tag externally associated would modify somewhere other
than specified in the string, too (and may change the length).  That
would be really tricky.

> >    I think a future version basically shouldn't try to "print" a
> > Chararacter, but print out the code point and to display a character,
> > you do have to supply the extra infomation.  (Character object is
> > convenient, but you can go with all String objects, if you like.)
>
> Exactly my point.  When you know a language you can go with String
> objects and then you can avoid #leadingChar.

  You can, but it is a real major change and good luck.

-- Yoshiki