[squeak-dev] Re: #leadingChar (Re: The future of Squeak & Pharo))

Paolo Bonzini bonzini at gnu.org
Tue Jun 30 23:11:33 UTC 2009

On 06/30/2009 07:33 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
> At Tue, 30 Jun 2009 09:56:38 +0200,
> Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>> #at: is not one of them, language tags should not be skipped just like
>> soft hyphens (U+00AD, also known as hyphenation hint) should not.
>
>    If #at: should return a printable character, then the resulting
> character (really a String) with proper language tag(s) externally
> associated should be returned from #at:.

No, characters are characters are characters.  They should not have any
language tag.  The language tag, if of anything, could be returned as
part of the style if you're working on a Text.  The default language tag
could be extrapolated from the current user's locale.

>    You can, but it is a real major change and good luck.

I'm not planning to do this of course.  I'm just saying that there are
other possibilities that (as Philippe pointed out) collaborate better
with the rest of the Unicode world.  Maybe starting from a clean slate
without #leadingChar, and working things out from there, would be better
than forcing Han-disunification down the throat.

Paolo