[squeak-dev] re: MicroSqueak

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Mon Mar 2 03:04:45 UTC 2009

 > You should ask John, but the aim was to get a minimal Hello World so
 > there isn't a compiler for example.  But surely the answer is
 > "whatever you need to get what you want done", right?

      Heh, sure... but you're not answering my question. :)  I'm
wondering how others have gone about deriving the complete set of
classes and methods a system needs to perform a particular task (so that
I can compare to how I do it). Indeed, I should ask John.

 > So if the goal is a microkernel from which one can bootstrap an image
 > one needs a compiler, a file system interface, and for sanity a
 > minimal error-reporting framework right?

      Sure, but that doesn't help much with questions like "Should I
include method X or not?". The necessity of several things in the system
is rather subtle. :)  I like to be able to point to any byte in an
object memory and give a simple explanation as to why it's there, and
have performed a straightforward process to get that explanation.

-C

--
Craig Latta
www.netjam.org