[squeak-dev] re: MicroSqueak

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 03:23:36 UTC 2009

2009/3/2 Craig Latta <craig at netjam.org>:

>> You should ask John, but the aim was to get a minimal Hello World so
>> there isn't a compiler for example.  But surely the answer is
>> "whatever you need to get what you want done", right?
>
>     Heh, sure... but you're not answering my question. :)  I'm wondering how
> others have gone about deriving the complete set of classes and methods a
> system needs to perform a particular task (so that I can compare to how I do
> it). Indeed, I should ask John.
>
>> So if the goal is a microkernel from which one can bootstrap an image
>> one needs a compiler, a file system interface, and for sanity a
>> minimal error-reporting framework right?
>
>     Sure, but that doesn't help much with questions like "Should I include
> method X or not?". The necessity of several things in the system is rather
> subtle. :)  I like to be able to point to any byte in an object memory and
> give a simple explanation as to why it's there, and have performed a
> straightforward process to get that explanation.

I think i can give you an idea:
any object/class which interfacing with core VM functionality should
be in that hierarchy.
A starting point - VM requires a special objects array, properly
filled with certain objects of certain, expected properties/slots.
There is no way how you can avoid providing this information in image
without chance of breaking everything.
Going further - we could identify all methods which using core set of
primitives (mainly - numeric ones) and add them as well.
Next - add a basic I/O (make file plugin working).
And finally - make a compiler working (in non-interactive mode).
The rest is optional, since by having a compiler we could file in any
code we want to.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.