[squeak-dev] re: MicroSqueak

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Mon Mar 2 17:55:06 UTC 2009

Craig Latta wrote on Sun, 01 Mar 2009 21:20:31 -0800

>       Sure, I personally think that should be where the process starts
> (otherwise I suspect unnecessary things get included), but I'm
> interested in approaches from that point that differ from mine.

You are probably aware of the type inference work Ole Agesen did in
Self?

http://selflanguage.org/documentation/published/gold.html

Some of this has since been done for Squeak as well, but not (as far as
I know) for generating minimal images. Of course, type inference has
trouble with things like #perform. In the case of Self, primitive
failures did silly string manipulation and that caused a lot of
unrelated code (string stuff) to get pulled into every image. Another
source of "leaks" was that even if you only used integer math in your
application, the type inferencer couldn't prove that floating point
would never be needed due to the way a few Integer methods were written.

In the end, it seems likely to me that the best result will be obtained
by a combination of methods.

-- Jecel