[squeak-dev] re: MicroSqueak

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 01:45:35 UTC 2009

2009/3/3 Stephen Pair <stephen at pairhome.net>:
> On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 6:59 PM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> But perhaps a better alternative is just to use Hydra and provide a remote
>> debugging interface to another Hydra space.  So there's a version of the
>> Hydra spawn operation that constructs the heap from MObject.  That machinery
>> would be easy to extend, right Igor?
>
> I like it.  It made me immediately think of gestation and child birth.  You
> could call this early stage interface the umbilical interface.  But
> seriously, if you really want to get at the very smallest possible starting
> image, constructing one that is a sort of embryo that is still dependent on
> its host and unable to live in the world on its own is probably the way to
> go.  This minimal image wouldn't need a file system interface, a compiler,
> and probably lots of other things that one built to live on its own would
> need.

Right, it is waits to be implemented.
Currently in example of HydraClone>>cloneIdleProcess, i stubbing out
all class/metaclass references with a dumb anonymous instances of
Class, which having a format field set, and empty method dictionary.
This is to make sure that VM will not crash occasionally while
stepping out on stubbed class :)
To get an effect of host<->embryo relation, we need to invent a
special stub, which will carry enough information for passing it to
host image and getting back an object which is then #become the real
class or method or whatever.

P.S. there is a lot of synergy with a Spoon. Time to time people
pointing out on this.
I just want to make it clear: I'm aware about it and even think it
worth integrating Spoon features with Hydra to not reinvent the wheel,
especially on language side.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.