[squeak-dev] debugging plugin and virtual machine

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 20:03:46 UTC 2009

2009/3/3 Ang Beepeng <beepeng86 at yahoo.com>:

> Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>> 2009/3/3 Ang Beepeng <beepeng86 at yahoo.com>:
>>>
>>> Thank you so much. I'm actually working on Windows base plugin.
>>>

>> ohh.. then i feel  sorry for you :)
>> Debugging VM on windows is a complete hell.
>> I know it by myself, because developing Hydra VM on windows.
>>
>> All gbd versions which i found, can't show me a correct stack trace
>> for VM built using gcc 2.95. :((
>> So i got to use 2 debuggers at once:
>> - gdb to look for a source code at specific instruction address
>>
>> - visual c debugger to see the correct stack frames and function
>> addresses..
>> horrible, inconvenient & takes a lot of time to find a bug...
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.
>>

> Thanks.
>
> So is gdb and visual studio basically. I'm looking at both it also, I was
> hoping to get an easier solution or at least a more direct one.
>
> Is there any documentation out there on how to debug a Windows base plugin
> or some sort?

Since i enabled stdout in Hydra (by changing an entry point to main(),
not winMain()..)
I able to debug things in PHP-like style:

self cCode:'dprintf("here")'.
.... some code..
self cCode:'dprintf("there")'.

this helps me to locate the troublemaking code. :)

I tried to find a debugger with UI, which understands a GNU debug info
in windows, but failed.
I don't know how GNU guys explaing the limitation of having a
command-line debugger in 21st century.. Sometimes this is the only
option (like for embedded devices - but even then you'd better use
remote debugger), but almost always its not.
Try search for it, maybe things changed... and if you find it, let me
know. I need it as well! :)

> Thank you so much. :)
>
> Ang Beepeng
>
> --