[squeak-dev] What's the problem people? :)

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Wed Mar 4 15:29:10 UTC 2009

Hi Pharaos (and Squeak-dev)! :)

Alert to Pharaos: This is a cross post! (hehe)

I just wanted to say (for whatever that is worth) that I like Pharo. And
I like Squeak.org. And I like everyone doing stuff in/for/on
Squeak/Pharo/Smalltalk/Huemul whatever.

I have Pharo on my disk. I just started playing in it for a toy project
involving RB AST, RoelTyper etc.

But I do all Gjallar work on 3.10.2/LPF right now, it takes time moving
a large project to a different baseline, so Gjallar will probably be on
3.10.2 for a while. But nothing prevents us from testing out Pharo later
on - whatever works the best I say. Gjallar is also 95% ported to GS
these days.

I agree with Keith/Matthew that making good tools that can *span*
different forks/communities *must* be a good thing for us all to have.
All tools don't need to be spanning, but it doesn't hurt if *some* are -
right?

I *also* agree with Pharo people that hey, Pharo is a fork - we/you can
do whatever we/you like! And that is good - it's the strength of Pharo.
If Pharo diverts too much in "base stuff" it might turn into a weakness
- but we just don't know these things, it is still to be seen.

It is all about balance, benefits, etc. And we don't need to get angry
with each other do we? :) Trust me, it just burns your energy!

I have code that seems to be doing fine in Pharo - SocketStream comes to
mind. I know Pharo seem to be more inclined to use Universes than SM -
fine with me, no problem.

I hope to move SM forward in some way, and I hope it can still be
loaded/used from within Pharo - even if it gets thrown out soon (I think
I read something about that). I also intend to use both Pharo, Squeak or
whatever works best for my different tasks.

And finally I hope to revive DeltaStreams and make that work in Pharo as
well as most other Squeak flavors.

We are all Squeakers, right? :)

regards, Göran

PS. I am not sure why I am so damn cheerful, perhaps it is the SURGE I
seem to feel in the Squeak community - so many things going on all over
the place... ;)