[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Preference pragmas

Gary Chambers gazzaguru2 at btinternet.com
Mon Mar 9 00:27:40 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de>
To: "The general-purpose Squeak developers list"
Sent: Sunday, March 08, 2009 9:10 PM
Subject: [squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Preference pragmas

> spyPriority
> <preference: 'Spy Priority'
> category: 'Debug'
> type: #Number>
>
> spyPriority: aNumber
> SpyPriority := aNumber truncated min: 79 max: 40.
>
> This is a natural and straightforward guard that avoids complicating the
> preference specification.

The use of "extended" pragmas is interesting, although, to my mind it
doesn't address the problem/benefit of complex preference values
(non-literal).

As for the value guard, good, but the ranges etc. are not exposed to
potential tools (would be nice to NOT be able to input 99, for instance).

I think, at this stage, I still believe the "modelling of a preference"
approach more flexible.

Thoughts welcome, naturally.

Regards, Gary.