[squeak-dev] Re: [Vm-dev] New Window VM (Closures, FT2Plugin, Large Cursors)

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 10 00:06:37 UTC 2009

Keith Hodges wrote:

>>> Unfortunately the machine that I have designated for Bob to be an auto
>>> build/test server is a power-pc machine. What are the chances of a
>>> power-pc version of the closures vm?
>>>
>>> just interested to know
>>>
>>> Keith
>>>

>> Ok I see it is designated beta1U for universal, so the problem lies
>> elsewhere!
>>
>> Keith
>>

> OK so assigining to closure temporaries is no-longer allowed and flags a
> syntax error (not my code you understand)
>
> Keith

Does this mean that existing compiled code is expected to work, but an
image recompile could cause problems?
I have just fixed an instance in MCzInstaller>>#associate: Which assigns
to the block temporary.

associate: tokens
    | result |
    result _ Dictionary new.
    tokens pairsDo: [:key :value |
                    value isString ifFalse: [value _ value collect: [:ea
| self associate: ea]].
                    value = 'nil' ifTrue: [value _ ''].
                    result at: key put: value].
    ^ result

The fix is so ugly that I am beginning to think that assigning to a
block temp isn't such a bad idea after all.

Keith