[squeak-dev] Re: Squeak-dev Digest, Vol 75, Issue 23

Ralph Boland rpboland at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 15:29:34 UTC 2009

> > How difficult is it to modify Squeak 3.9 or later so that the display
> > of the '_'
> > character shows an arrow?

> You need to 'draw' the proper glyph inside the kind of AbstractFont
> you're using. If you're using StrikeFonts, it is not hard. Each font has
> a Form with all the glyphs in it.

Can I not simply copy some code that exists in Squeak 3.8.1?
If not I am not sure how to draw the proper glyph. Can you elaborate?
I have never modified which font is being used by Squeak to display code.
I am running Linux Ubuntu 8.10.  Where can I find this information?
The StrikeFont class seems to be used in a lot of places so I assume this
is the font I am using.

> > I promise that I will switch to the := operator for assignment before
> > releasing, really!
> >
> > Ralph Boland

> There's not a real consensus in this area. Many people (me included)
> really prefer the left arrow for assignment and will not accept others
>to prevent us from doing so. Please don't promise that. Switch to :=
> only if you want.

> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich

I assume that the _ character has been deprecated so that at some time
in the future it will be possible to write a variable name as  var_name.
Otherwise I see no point in taking the deprecation step.
While I am not fond of this change I do accept it and will conform when
the point arrives that I need to.  For me that point is when I release
my code.

Ralph Boland

--
When a woman becomes sexually aroused the necessary blood flows from her
heart.