[squeak-dev] Re: Squeak-dev Digest, Vol 75, Issue 23

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Mar 11 16:08:51 UTC 2009

On 11.03.2009, at 16:29, Ralph Boland wrote:

> If not I am not sure how to draw the proper glyph.

If you are using a StrikeFont (i.e., Accu*), the proper glyph should
still be there:

	Character value: 16r8F

If you are using a Balloon-rendered TrueType font, there never was a
left-arrow character.

If you use a FreeType-rendered font, there should be a left-arrow at

	Character value: 16r2190

> I assume that the _ character has been deprecated so that at some time
> in the future it will be possible to write a variable name as
> var_name.
> Otherwise I see no point in taking the deprecation step.
> While I am not fond of this change I do accept it and will conform
> when
> the point arrives that I need to.  For me that point is when I release
> my code.

I'm not entirely sure but I think you can have your cake and eat it
too, using Shout. IIRC it allows to display := as ← even though in
the saved method it still uses :=.

- Bert -