[squeak-dev] Updating key morphic/etoy features in the main Squeak release

Robert Hawley rhawley at plymouth.ac.uk
Thu Mar 12 02:21:06 UTC 2009

There are nice modifications in the Etoys system that should be bought
back into the main Squeak release.  (I mention as specific examples
key features like the scripting tile for looping and the adjustment
mechanism for changing the rotational centre of objects.)

I am aware that many Squeak developers now see Etoys morphic as a
distraction to other uses of Squeak.  While this is understandable, it
should not mean an unnecessary split and a weakening of the version in
Squeak as compared with the Squeakland version. Etoys is often
represented as a big plus for Squeak, so it does not make sense to
have a crummy version in the main Squeak distribution when there are
better versions to be had.

The disadvantage of the pure Etoys version is that there is not a
ready way to get back to standard Smalltalking.  Etoys is a useful
route into introducing and teaching Smalltalk, so it is a pity if that
route is not kept easily and straight forwardly accessible.

Is this being managed and/or fixed? I'd be interested to hear what
plans are afoot and what issues are driving people.

Yours

Bob