[squeak-dev] Re: keeping arrow for assignment operator

Simon Kirk simon.kirk at pinesoft.co.uk
Thu Mar 12 20:01:18 UTC 2009

If, as Bert implied in the other "left arrow related" thread, Shout
can render the := as a left arrow, then we get the best of both
worlds, no?

Problem is that I've never seen this behaviour. Can anybody verify
whether it's actually true?

Cheers,
Simon

On 12 Mar 2009, at 19:50, nicolas cellier wrote:

> Joshua Gargus <schwa <at> fastmail.us> writes:
>
>> we could have a plebiscite on some issues like this.  The whole
>> community could vote "yes", "no", and "don't care" to this and other
>> questions, and the issue would be settled once and for all.  I
>> could be
>> wrong, but I think that you'd be unhappy with the result for this
>> particular question
>>

> I strongly prefer leftArrow for expressivity, readability...
> ...and for avoiding stupid errors like myTemp = 2.
>
> But I consider external world reasons stronger:
> - external fonts
> - external encoding
> - other dialects
>
> The underscore statu quo is just crazy.
> I would vote for suppression from modern Squeak, sorry Juan...

Consider your responsibility to the environment - think before you print!

This email is from Pinesoft Limited. Its contents are confidential to the intended recipient(s) at the email address(es) to which it has been addressed. It may not be disclosed to or used by anyone other than the addressee(s), nor may it be copied in anyway. If received in error, please contact the sender, then delete it from your system. Although this email and attachments are believed to be free of virus, or any other defect which might affect any computer or IT system into which they are received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they are virus free and no responsibility is accepted by Pinesoft for any loss or damage arising in any way from receipt or use thereof. *******************************************************************************************************************************************

Pinesoft Limited are registered in England, Registered number: 2914825. Registered office: 266-268 High Street, Waltham Cross, Herts, EN8 7EA