[squeak-dev] Re: Updating key morphic/etoy features in the main Squeak release

Robert Hawley rhawley at plymouth.ac.uk
Fri Mar 13 03:32:30 UTC 2009

Hi Rita

Thank you for your reply.  It is good to hear that the Etoy
protagonists would be interested in back-porting Etoys improvements to
the main Squeak release.

However, do we know if the Squeak release builders want any
improvements to morphic - or are they going to cut back to a
minimorphic?

I still don't know what questions to ask about how things are managed.
I have been looking around more - there have been some changes with
lists recently that I didn't know about. (I notice that the lists are
not very used as yet.) I still don't have much clue as to where to
find things about what goes into the main Squeak release, who controls
it, or where to look to see the current state of things. Advice would
be welcome.

Yours

Bob

Robert Hawley wrote:
 > Hi Craig
 >
 > Would I like to write a proposal?  Not at this stage - I am not
 > sufficiently aware of who does what and of how things are done.
 >
 > Can you answer about is this being managed and/or fixed and about
 > plans, issues and people's motivations? For example - are you
involved
 > in this topic?
 >
 > It is a topic that I am interested in, and I have a fair knowledge of
 > how Morphic works.  I don't know about the processes of getting
things
 > into the Squeak releases however. Neither do I know if the current
 > protagonists for the etoys system are wanting to be involved in
 > back-porting their work to Squeak.
Hi Bob,

the Squeakland Foundation, who are  the protagonists for the Etoys
system, would *love* to be back in sync with the Squeak system. I'm
personally interested in exactly what you described in an earlier mail,
a "useful route into introducing and teaching Smalltalk".
I don't think that we will back-porting Etoys to 3.9 or 3.10, but rather
with the next squeak release. This is no short-term goal, but I would
like to discuss how a reunion of Squeak and Etoys could be done.

Greetings,
Rita
Squeakland Foundation
www.squeakland.org