[squeak-dev] Squeak image for PDAs ?

Martin Drautzburg Martin.Drautzburg at web.de
Mon Mar 16 20:22:37 UTC 2009

Thanks to all, I tried your suggestions:

@Edgar J. De Cleene
> The old SqueakLight is for you.
> In his bare form have 3.7 mb and is 3.7 compatible.

Wow, this is pretty recent stuff.  The newer images I donwloaded from
http://ftp.squeak.org/various_images/SqueakLight/ are still >11M (The *zip*
file is about the size you mention). This is a lot, considering the comSwiki
image, which also includes morphic, is only 6.3 MB and a pharo image is 16
MB. However there is an older image in SqueakLight.411.zip  which is 5.5 MB.
So far this is the smallest useable image I could find.

@Vaidotas Didžbalis
> I am using  Squeak 3.7 image with majorShrink applied

All my attempts to do a major shrink failed miserably. Probably I am doing it
the wrong way. Information is confusing. Some say it doesn't work, some say I
mustn't use the method provided with the image. I seems to be much easier to
write Smalltalk code than to get rid of it.

@Klaus D. Witzel
> Squeak's Scratch .image is ca. 5-6 MB, and it experimenta Linux support

Well than one is nice and small. I got a problem with primSoundStop, but
that's the least of my worries. The thing is - I just couln't do anything
useful with it. It looks like polished etoys to me.

I never quite understood etoys and it would be among the first things I would
want to get rid of. I am just not a big fan of "graphical programming", I
want a Browser, a Debugger and all that shit where Smalltalk really shines, I
am happy to enter program text and I have no urge to move sprites around.

--
Martin