[squeak-dev] Squeak users (was Re: [Vm-dev] Compiling squeak-vm for Linux 64bit)

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Tue Mar 17 13:53:30 UTC 2009

Hi!

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 17.03.2009, at 13:36, Göran Krampe wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Really wrong forum, but what the heck.
>
> Wrong indeed. Reply-to set to squeak-dev.

Dropped vm-dev altogether.

> For those coming late: the original thread starts to get interesting
> around here:
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2009-March/002427.html
>
>> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>> Most in the squeak.org community do not think of Squeak as a product
>>> with users, but rather as a tool they only use themselves. E.g.,
>>> there is even resistance to creating a squeak-users mailing list
>>> aimed at Smalltalk developers who just want to use Squeak for
>>> developing :/
>>
>> Interesting. I wonder if I am one of those "resisting". When I heard
>> the idea of creating a squeak-users list I first thought that, no,
>> Squeak is not polished enough to be just "used" as a multimedia
>> environment.
>>
>> Because I didn't think of "using" to possibly could have meant "using
>> for development"! Yeah, call me daft.
>
> Hehe. Well, at least I am trying to always distinguish between "Etoys"
> and "Squeak". This was not always necessary, and in particular the
> education community refers to Etoys as Squeak out of habit. But around
> here "Squeak" means Smalltalk development.

I agree. And also, I am *in general* not really opposed to anything at
all. :) I am just weary of "forum pollution" and probably dislike the
idea that we always need to partition ourselves into these defined "roles".

>> Another reason is probably that I don't understand why anyone would
>> only want to "use" Squeak without any interest in how it is being
>> moved forward nor how it works inside. When you develop in Squeak you
>> typically invest in its future, so why on earth would you not be
>> considering yourself a member of the "squeak-dev" community?
>
> Good question. But when you develop in, say, Python, don't you "invest
> in its future"? Still, most Python users would not contribute to Python
> directly, right? But indirectly they do.

"Contribute directly"? By developing in a language/system you
immediately become involved - and thus you contribute. I am fairly sure
that the majority of subscribers to squeak-dev have NOT their developer
initials inside the image - nor necessarily in any other public package
for Squeak. I still think they contribute.

...so what am I saying? :) I am just saying, yet another mailinglist?
Sure, go ahead, that is IMHO *not* the point.

The point is - should we draw these lines in the sand or should we
perhaps draw *other* non-obvious lines or should we indeed draw them at all?

> In my opinion broadening the user base of Squeak would have long-term
> benefits.

I really, really think you presume something here. I am not against
"broadening the user base".

 > Yes you may get more annoying questions, but that's what the
> proposed users list would be for (initially anyway - there might even be
> more books if there was a real market).

Again, I *like* beginner questions - and especially when posted to
squeak-dev because they almost always spawn interesting threads. And
*everyone* has IMHO some interesting perspective.

 > With more Squeak users there
> also would be more who jump the fence and become Squeak developers.
> Which would cover your next point ...
>
>> Anyway, for other "development tools" I can see myself more clearly as
>> a "user" - but a Smalltalk environment is so intertwined with itself
>> that I don't see that separation. I also do not like squeak-dev
>> turning into some kind of "club for the mighty developers". Which is
>> why I was hesitant about the beginners list too - although I probably
>> was wrong there.
>>
>> [SNIP]
>>> They will have an open ear to your concerns.
>>
>> I do think Squeakers in general have a very "open ear" - it is not
>> ears we lack, it is time to spend in solving problems that someone
>> else has that we lack. :) At least most of us lack it.
>>
>> regards, Göran
>
> ... which is that each individual only has so much time. But if we had a
> larger community and made it really easy to contribute, we'd still move
> much faster.

Again, I am not against growing. I don't think anyone really is. I am
against "stretching us thin" and "grouping" based on some kind of
"level" of knowledge, or perceived role.

But hey, don't listen to me - let the elected ones do some talking on
this subject :)

regards, Göran