[squeak-dev] Re: problems with Windows 7 beta and Squeak-Etoys

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Thu Mar 19 22:25:19 UTC 2009

At Thu, 19 Mar 2009 14:16:08 -0700,
Andreas Raab wrote:

> Rita Freudenberg wrote:
> >>
> >> Send me the crash.dmp (in the vm directory). We've tried running
> >> Forums on Windows 7 with no apparent problems so I'm a little
> >> surprised to hear your report.
> >
> > I'm sory I can't find a vm directory in the Etoys folder. Where should I
> > look?
>
> In the place where the vm (Squeak.exe) lives. There is a file called
> crash.dmp that gets written upon a VM crash. The VM will also tell you
> where the dump has been written to, so if you can't find it, just have
> it crash again and go to the location mentioned in the dialog.

  I'm afraid that it is not as simple as it should be.  The Etoys on
Windows is installed into a normal place (C:\Program Files\Etoys\...)
and that is the location indicated when the VM crashes.  However,the
directory is 1) read-only and 2) such program files and directories
are protected by the OS so that the user process cannot mess with it.

By the mechanism introduced to Vista and Windows 7, such attempt to
write a file is simulated but actually done to a shadow directory.
Qwaq Forums log data, for example, goes to:

  C:\Users\ohshima\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Qwaq Forums

But for some reason, for the Etoys case, you can mess some files in
some ways (like saving the image and the shadow file does get updated)
but crash.dmp doesn't get updated for some reason.

So, Rita, here is what to do:

  - Uninstall Etoys.
  - Install Etoys via EtoysInstaller.exe.
  - When the installer asks you to specify the directory to install,
    specify something other location and make it not under C:\Program Files.
  - Launch Etoys and see if it crashes.  This time, the crash.dmp will
    be there.

-- Yoshiki