[squeak-dev] [Fwd: The DCI Architecture Published]

Trygve Reenskaug trygver at ifi.uio.no
Fri Mar 20 18:42:25 UTC 2009

Dear Squeakers,
Jim Coplien and I have published an article on Bill Venners' discussion
forum. Here's a quote from the article:

/"Somewhere along the line, statically typed languages got the upper
hand, supported by software engineering. One important aspect of static
type system analysis was the class: a construct that allowed the
compiler to generate efficient code for method lookup and polymorphism.
Even Smalltalk, whose initial vision of objects and a dynamic run-time
environment was truly visionary, fell victim to the class compromise.
The class became the implementation tool for the analysis concept called
an object. This switch from dynamics to statics was the beginning of the
end for capturing dynamic behavior."/

It would be great with responses from the squeak community, particularly
from Trait experts (and Traits haters? DCI depends on Traits.)

Enjoy
--Trygve