[Pharo-project] [squeak-dev] Re: Rewriting an Input/EventSensor code

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sat Mar 21 16:11:45 UTC 2009

On 21-Mar-09, at 3:09 AM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> Right, but here we're talking about doing such conversion much more
> earlier (at event source object),
> so then event sensor already deals with first class event objects.
> I want to know, if such scheme (which i described in first post) is
> plausible.

For the iPhone VM I return a complex event type, which then points to
Smalltalk objects which are the
representation of the touch events. For location and acceleration data
I return the actual objective-C objects.
This data is then processed by EventSensor.

If you choose to push the responsibility to the VM for creating event
objects then you need to be cognizant
of the fact that whatever is proposed has to change very little over
time, otherwise you end up with the issue
of image versus VM compatibility and the fact that VM version changes
proceed at a slow rate.

--
=
=