[squeak-dev] Is LLVM useful to Squeak?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sat Mar 21 18:26:22 UTC 2009

Well I've done a /usr/local/bin/scan-build xcodebuild -project
against the iPhone VM. The LLVM static analysis points out a few
interesting things I've not really
look too hard at.

One of which is that in many places in the interpret we can end up
with using initialized variables when the success code is false.
However in looking at
the problem areas, if the success flag is set to false (usually not
possible) then continuing execution is impossible anyway.

Obviously someone *could* cleanup VMMaker to ensure LLVM static
analysis pronounces it as clean.

Now as for the compiler  getting LLVM to compile the VM is chore, and
we know that GCC 4.2 produces a slower interpreter than 4.0. This
after *much* work to see if we
could fool the 4.2 compiler to product code at least as good as 4.0

On 21-Mar-09, at 10:58 AM, askoh wrote:

> I noticed that Mono and Python are doing some work with LLVM.
> http://www.mono-project.com/StudentProjects#LLVM_Back-End
> http://codespeak.net/pypy/dist/pypy/doc/translation.html#the-llvm-back-end
> http://llvm.org/
> What are they gaining from LLVM? Can Squeak benefit from LLVM?
>
> Thanks,
> Aik-Siong Koh
> --

=