[squeak-dev] How do you start squeak so that the web plugin can be used view the screen?

Frank Church vfclists at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 22 23:03:37 UTC 2009

2009/3/22 Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>:
> On 22.03.2009, at 16:15, Frank Church wrote:
>
>> How do you start squeak so that the web plugin can be used view the
>> screen?
>
> Not sure what you mean. The web server serves a page with html code to embed
> an object with the application/x-squeak-source MIME type, and some
> parameters. The user's browser embeds the plugin, which in turn starts
> Squeak, which loads the image and runs it. In the case of Etoys, the image
> uses the passed arguments to download another file (the Etoys project) and
> shows that.
>
>> Does it allow user to interface it as normal, like the regular graphic
>> browser, or is mainly for browsing objects?
>
> That depends on the image that is installed. In the Etoys image we hide the
> tools by default but you can still access them using Alt-Shift-W.
>
> Go to squeakland.org and download Etoys to try.
>
> - Bert -
>

>From what you are saying it sounds like the plug in runs the VM in the
users browser and the image is also downloaded from the server to run
in the browser.

I thought it was more like the image running on the server and
displaying the output in the browser, ie with the browser running as a
remote display. Is it more of the former?

I downloaded what I presume to be the plugin from Etoys, but it is a
standalone program.

Did I miss the plugin itself, the plugin link takes me to back to the
downloads page. Is that download meant to be installed in the browser
some how?