[squeak-dev] living in the stone age; change set migration tools anyone?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Mar 23 10:35:30 UTC 2009

On 23.03.2009, at 04:39, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>     I'm embarrased to say that part of my ork environment revolves
> around ChangeSets.

Hehe. You are not alone. I'm working with some of those stone age
people, too ;) They even find Monticello needlessly complicated, the
practice of having to reorganize method categories obnoxious, and on
top of that those packages are less flexible than change sets.

I personally find MC much better suited for distributed development
than change sets, but it's hard to convince them given that they think
they would only lose power and gain nothing but ugliness.

> What I wondered was has anyone else gone throguh something similar
> and if so do they have any code that would help me, war stories that
> would change my mind,

I'd like to hear those stories, too. And ideas on how to work with
both change sets and Monticello (or more specifically, how to keep up
with newer squeak.org releases in an image managed by change sets).

> or alternatives (e.g. how to preserve Monticello overrides through a
> condense changes).

Now that's simple, and should actually be fixed for a long time:

http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=2514

- Bert -