[squeak-dev] Squeak packages for accessing SQL databases and for report generation

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 00:09:03 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 7:48 AM, Frank Church <vfclists at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Which are the main packages for accessing SQL databases

I can talk about persistence only. First of all, this link has the database
alternatives for squeak: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/512.
AFAIK Squeak has, natively, only drivers for PostgreSQL and MySQL. That's
about drivers. But, I think you don't want to write a insert by hand, and
you would rather use a ORM (If you cannot use a OODBMS). In this case, the
ORM is Glorp. The problem with Glorp is that the port of it to Squeak is
totally hardcoded with PostgreSQL driver.

In summary
- At driver level you have: PostgreSQL and MySQL
- At ORM level, you only have PostgreSQL.

That's why we developed (and we are still developing) SqueakDBX. With it,
you can talk with mayor databases like PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, SQL
Server, Sqlite3, and so on. Our wiki page is this:
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6052.

We have two beta releases till now and this month we will release our first
stable version. Here you can see the supported backends in the different OS:
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6108

We have done lots of tests and benchmarks. Benchmarks shows SqueakDBX is
faster that the PostgreSQL native driver. We are know comparing to MySQL
native driver also. Here are the benchmarks:
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6063

And finally, we are starting to modify Glorp (the Squeak port) and put a
common interfaze between Glorp - Any Driver. So, any driver could easily
used. We are going to create the PostgreSQL native driver and a SqueakDBX
driver.

That's all. If you have any doubt, question, suggestion or feeback with
SqueakDBX, please let me know.

Cheers,

Mariano