[squeak-dev] Re: ProcessWrapperPlugin.dll [was: OSProcess capabilities on Windows]

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Mar 25 03:28:30 UTC 2009

Aran Lunzer wrote:
> So it seems that something has changed in the VMs, and that something in
> the DLL only works with new ones.  But given that Balasz said that they
> had used ProcessWrapper with 3.7, I wondered whether they had - or could
> recompile - a version of the DLL that would be compatible with an old VM.
>
> What has changed in the VM wrt DLL loading?  Something to do with
> 64/32-bit support, perhaps?

I don't recall. But you should be able to recompile the plugin for the
version you need it to work with unless it uses any of the newer
features. There are two ways to do that:

a) Grab the source for the original 3.7 build, put the plugin into the
proper place and build it against the 3.7 sources.

b) Use your current build environment and #define VM_PROXY_MINOR to be
the minimum version you can get away with (i.e., the minimum version the
plugin compiles with).

Both should work.

Cheers,
  - Andreas