[squeak-dev] 'LPF' works now

Raymond Asselin asselinraymond at videotron.ca
Wed Mar 25 14:28:36 UTC 2009

Hi  Keith thanks for your reply.

Everything is OK now, I found the problem.

Here is a sequence of what I did if this can help...

OK, I tried this:
1.  Installer install: 'LPF'.     "in a sq3.9.1-7075webo9.03.1.image"
    Which installed few fixes from Mantis etc...
2. but image freeze (image not responding) when:
    Booting <http://www.squeaksource.com/mc/Monticello.impl-kph.637.mcz>.
3. I forced a user interrupt and see that the problem was around OBTree...
    so..
4. Quit without saving
5. Reload the image
6. Zap the 'OB Package Browser window' and others
7. Installer install: 'LPF'  again...
==
Now Monticello.impl-kph.637.mcz seems to load   correctly, except:

8. Error: a primitive has failed !
    It seems related to UnixFileDirectory (FileDirectory)>> primCreateDirectory:
9. Fired the debugger:
    I saw that Monticello try to create 'package-cache' in my localPath.
    There is a 'package-cache' in the directory BUT this one is an 'alias'
    so maybe that is the problem...so
10. Zapped the alias of 'package-cache' in my localPath
11. Return to (5. - 6. - 7.) everything is OK
======
CONCLUSION:
a)  the install script must ensure that there is no OmniBrowser windows open in
the image where the script will run.
b)  the install script must ensure that there is no 'alias' of 'package-cache' in the
localPath (directory of the Squeak image)

I don't know if this is possible, I just want you to know that, as a contribution to
your excellent work.

Raymond