[squeak-dev] [Ann] Cuis: A new Squeak distribution

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 27 23:47:42 UTC 2009

>> chines, PDAs and embedded devices.
>>
>> I hope you like it.
>>

> Wow.. what a surprise :)
>
> A note in 'About Cuis' states:
> [[
> The first outcome of that team splitting of Morphic in several
> packages. As the Squeak community wasn't willing to start dropping
> complexity (and functionality), we decided to maintain our own image.
> ]]
>
> I think this is not the case today. I'm always thinking that splitting
> Morphic onto separate parts would be best way towards modularity.

Agreed,

I think that many forkers are misreading completely what the "Squeak
Community" is willing or wants to do, as opposed to what we are able to do.

In the light of potential alternatives to Morphic (i.e. Juan's Morphic
3.0) my view of the way ahead is to move squeak in a direction where it
is possible to unload Morphic and load something else.

To achieve this I have always considered the first requirement to be
atomic loading and better tools.

Keith