Replacing Morphic (was Re: [squeak-dev] [Ann] Cuis: A new Squeak distribution)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Mar 28 12:02:39 UTC 2009

On 28.03.2009, at 04:19, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>> A note in 'About Cuis' states:
>> [[
>> The first outcome of that team splitting of Morphic in several
>> packages. As the Squeak community wasn't willing to start dropping
>> complexity (and functionality), we decided to maintain our own image.
>> ]]
>>
>> I think this is not the case today. I'm always thinking that
>> splitting
>> Morphic onto separate parts would be best way towards modularity.
>>

> Sure. Everybody agrees on that. That's why we did split Morphic in 3
> packages: Morphic, Morphic-Extras and EToys. But there is too much
> dependency between them, and decoupling them in a way that would
> allow them to be loaded back is too hard. So the hard decision is to
> completely drop stuff. I removed Morphic-Extras and Etoys. They can
> not be loaded back.

Having seen various attempts at that I think splitting Morphic is
*not* the best way forward. Instead, I think the current FullMorphic
(i.e. including Etoys and all the goodies) should be treated as one
unit and there would be complete replacements for it. Support for
switching between different UIs would be added and once that is done,
one particular replacement could be a stripped-down Morphic like that
from Cuis. Or much more different replacements like (native) Brazil,
Tweak, etc.

- Bert -