[squeak-dev] category support fixes for MC1.5?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 18:11:00 UTC 2009

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 10:44 AM, Keith Hodges <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk>wrote:

> Eliot Miranda wrote:
> >

> > On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 7:09 AM, Keith Hodges
> > <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk <mailto:keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk>> wrote:
> >
> >     Eliot Miranda wrote:
> >     > Hi All,
> >     >
> >     >     we're using MC1.5 & I just had cause to reload all my
> >     packages in
> >     > a fresh image and I've noticed that none of my class categories
> were
> >     > moved over.  The bug is that the category order exists only
> >     implicitly
> >     > in the source/source.st <http://source.st> <http://source.st>
> >     element of the mcz and
> >     > doesn't exist at all in the snapshot.bin so when loading loads from
> >     > snapshot.bin one ends up with some essentially random category
> >     order.
> >     >  Anyone have fixes for this?
> >     >
> >     Hi Eliot,
> >
> >     checking the current MC1.5 it is saving category definitions in the
> >     snapshot.bin file.
> >

> > Have you tested that a load of a package containing some large class
> > not currently in your image loads with correct organization? (VMMaker
> > is ideal).
> VMMaker-ar.118 loaded in the correct order for me.

Ah, sorry.  That's not a good test.  The order that  you get is the order in
which methods come in (which might be alphabetical).  i.e. after the load
the first category in your organization will be the category of the first
method loaded, the second category will be the category of the next method
not in the first category and so on.  Since VMMaker-ar.118 has this
organization anyway you won't see any change.

So... reorganize the categories in Interpreter in VMMaker-ar.118 so they're
e.g. alphabetical, save that and ten load it into a fresh image and see what
you get.