[squeak-dev] UTF-8

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 12:42:33 UTC 2009

> You can not do that. Squeak stores the language of a character in
> every character. In a web application you don't know the language of
> the input and utf-8 certainly doesn't contain it. You could take the
> language of the image but that is random and has no relation to the
> input. You could also set the language of a character to unicode (255)
> but that only works for non-Latin-1 characters, these are interned and
> all have leadingChar 0. Did I already mention that the leadingChar is
> used for #=? So no, I don't believe you.
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

It seems most reasonnable to me to switch unicode leadingChar to 0.
Why couldn't we just do that?

Of course, all this does not really answer Pierre Edouard questions...
Pierre, what do you want unicode for?
- displaying any arbitrary  character inside squeak
- inputing any character with keyboard in squeak
- exchanging files made of arbitrary characters with external world
(utf-8, utf-16 or other formats)
- reading and writing filenames containing arbitrary characters
- anything else?

Nicolas