[squeak-dev] UTF-8

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Sun Mar 29 13:27:38 UTC 2009

Philippe Marschall pravi:
> Janko Mivšek:

>> We don't have any problems with Squeak Unicode in Aida/Web apps,
>> probably because we strictly use Unicode internally,

> You can not do that. Squeak stores the language of a character in
> every character. In a web application you don't know the language of
> the input and utf-8 certainly doesn't contain it. You could take the
> language of the image but that is random and has no relation to the
> input. You could also set the language of a character to unicode (255)
> but that only works for non-Latin-1 characters, these are interned and
> all have leadingChar 0. Did I already mention that the leadingChar is
> used for #=? So no, I don't believe you.

Well, you should believe me, I have a proof!

Look at this Aida/Scribo  multilingual demo served from Squeak image:
http://demo.bioskop.fr/wiki/wiki.html, see specially Japanese and
Russian  text. Even Japanese urls are working correctly:
http://demo.bioskop.fr/wiki/%E3%83%86%E3%82%B9%E3%83%88.html

About leading character, I even don't know what is that, except in
theory. That is, I never encounter this character as a problem when
porting Aida and its i8n support to Squeak.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek