[squeak-dev] running squeak from flash stick

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 03:43:19 UTC 2009

On Sunday 29 Mar 2009 3:00:26 am Ralph Boland wrote:
> Can I fix my problems by:
>    1) Changing the mount settings.  If so I don't know which ones; I
> guess this is really a Linux question.
Yes. You need root permissions to override mount policy to allow running of
executables from removable storage devices. In recent distros, this is
handled by HAL sub-system. If your system has pmount utility, you can use
its '-e' option:
   pmount -Ae /dev/blahblah label
>    2) Copying the necessary files onto the flash stick from my machine
>        from which Squeak can currently be run.
>        If so which files to I need to copy and where do I put them.
>        If this is the solution perhaps a set of instructions somewhere
>        on how to do this would be useful since other squeakers may
>        want to  do this.  If instructions exist and I have simply failed
>        to find them then my apologies.
I used the Etoys distribution. It comes with binaries for Lin/Mac/Win OSes.
Then I put a KDE launcher file (you may have to change LABEL to suit your
needs):
-------- etoys.desktop
Name=EToys
Path=/media/LABEL
Icon=/media/LABEL/etoys/icons/squeak.png
Type=Application
Exec=sh etoys/etoys.sh
--------