[squeak-dev] RE: running squeak from flash stick

Ralph Boland rpboland at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 03:09:32 UTC 2009

> > I want to be able to store and run my Squeak project on a flash stick  ...

> Most of the mainline Squeak's don't require install.
> Grab one and put the files on the stick.

I only know squeak.org  which requires that I use install which of
course fails if I try to install on my flash stick.
Can you  point me to a version of Squeak that does not require
an install and runs the version of Squeak  3.10 (linux) from squeak.org?

> I always work using a one-click distro, which on a USB key allows you
> plug the key into a Linux, Windows, or Mac machine and continue
> working against the same image.

This would be cool.
I don't need to run on non Linux OSs right now but I might in the future.

> There are three text files that point at the image name (one for each > platform):

> squeak.ini (Windows)
> squeak.sh (Unix)
> Contents/info.plist (Mac)

I don't see any of these files anywhere.  This helps in one way though.
I remember reading Squeak doc referring to squeak.ini
but I could never find the file.
Turns out It was never in in the Linux distro!

>From  - Bert -

> You should simply copy a working installation to the stick. That does
> not require symlinks.

It is not clear to me what files I need to copy or where I should put them.
Since file "squeak" is a binary I cannot tell what it is doing or how
to modify it.

> We are actually working on something similar for classroom use. Take a
> look at this:

> http://wiki.squeakland.org/display/sq/Etoys+on+a+Stick

> If you run this on a Linux machine it should create a zip file that
> you can unzip to a USB flash drive, and use on (x86) Linux, Mac, and
Windows.

   Using your file I got Etoys to work fine on my flash stick (I only
tried Linux).
   Looks cool!
   But I do not see how to get squeak to  run the same way.

   By the way, I also looked at the INSTALL file and config file that
came with the
Linux version of the Squeak virtual machine.  But, not being and
expert in config files
or INSTALL files, I couldn't figure out what I need to know.
I could solve the symbolic links problem by making copies but I don't
believe that will
solve all my problems.

Ralph Boland