[squeak-dev] A headless toolset?

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 1 22:56:22 UTC 2009

Igor Stasenko wrote:
> 2009/5/1 Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>:
>
>> Hi All.
>>     anyone have a headless analog to StandardToolSet that sends errors to
>> standard out?  I'm starting work on a new image format for Cog and am using
>> John Maloney's MicroSqueak to generat ethe image.  But I want more
>> functionality than John's Hello World example.  I want it to include the
>> compiler and support scripting and filein so that I can bootstrap a full
>> image from it.  But I need a standard i/o based toolset to do this and it
>> would be great if someone's already written it.
>>

> You may take a look for bits in HydraToolSet, which is made headless
> and redirects error output to log & transcript.

Bob simply patches Transcript so that it logs to a file in such a way as
should work for all images.

Logging, was developed with the intention of replacing Transcript show:
in the compiler core classes etc. The output backends being optional for
minimal images.

squeaksource.com/Testing SUnit has a TestReporter, a non gui test runner.

Both Installer and Sake/Packages are designed with headless images in
mind, in order to build up larger images. based upon loading packages.

Keith