[squeak-dev] Re: Interaction between objects which can be waited on, and their clients(waiters)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue May 5 18:11:07 UTC 2009

Igor Stasenko wrote:
> 2009/5/5 Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>:
>> How is what you are proposing fundamentally different from a solution that
>> simply creates a watcher process for each event source and then combines
>> those properly? I.e.,
> the fundamental difference that by adding the protocol
> (waitForSignalBy:/waitComplete:) i can put any waiter to the
> semaphore, instead of just process.

And I have absolutely no clue what you mean when you say that ;-) To me,
the concept of "waiting" is intrinsically tied to the concept of
"progressing" and only processes can do either. It is meaningless to me
to say "this number is waiting" - only active objects (processes) can
wait since only active objects (processes) can advance.

Can you explain in more detail what it *means* for an object other than
a process to wait? I just don't get it.

Sorry for being slow,
   - Andreas