[squeak-dev] Is there any way of reopening OSProcess thisOSProcess stdOut to a given FileStream?

Casimiro de Almeida Barreto casimiro.barreto at gmail.com
Mon May 18 14:35:56 UTC 2009

Hello,

OSProcess thisOSProcess stdOut nextPutAll: 'This is a test'. will print
"This is a test" in the shell that started squeak.
OSProcess thisOSProcess stdOut close. successfully closes stdOut.

Under linux, if I open a new file after closing stdout it will have the
FD #1 (given stdin is not closed too) and I would successfully have
redirected stdOut to that file. But in squeak if I do something like:

fd := FileStream fileNamed: 'aGenericPipeline'.
fd readWrite.
OSProcess thisOSProcess setStdOut.
OSProcess thisOSProcess stdOut nextPutAll: 'This is a test',Character lf
asString.

Things get weird... (to the point that squeak VM crashes).

I also tried to do:

mkfifo fifo
squeak > fifo

But squeak just won't start...

Any suggestions on how reopen stdOut to a desired point other than the
default?