[squeak-dev] Re: Teaching Recommendations

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at ofset.org
Sat May 30 08:04:40 UTC 2009

Casimiro de Almeida Barreto a écrit :
> Gary Dunn escreveu:
>> I am planning an introductory course in Smalltalk for high school students. This will be starting from scratch; no previous programming experience required. The goal is to be able to create self-made personal software.
>>
>> To this end I have been working through The Laser Game Tutorial and Squeak by Example. Neither seem right for beginners.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend any other books or teaching materials? Maybe a successful syllabus?
>>
> I know that there are some people from Spain with an extremely rich
> experience in this topic. People from Conselho de Extremadura and I
> guess some of them are present at this list.

Hello Gary

I think the Spanish friend of Extremadura are focusing on Etoys use.

What about using a dedicated Smalltalk environment to learn Smalltalk
programming?

Come to my mind:

- BotsInc and the book Learning programming with robots?
http://scg.unibe.ch/wiki/botsinc/

- Related to mathematics teaching in secondary education, DrGeo
(http://wiki.laptop.org/go/DrGeo) is a Smalltalk environment for
interactive geometry with dedicated programming facilities (scripting
and programmed figure)
See this example of Smalltalk scripting with DrGeo
http://blog.ofset.org/hilaire/index.php?post/script-drgeo
(a google translation link is provided at the end of the document)

DrGeo scripting is a very lovely way to introduce problem solving
methodologies in a quite comfortable way. Well, I am a math teacher...

For a polished general introduction to DrGeo, read this English document
http://blog.ofset.org/public/drgeo/drgeo-EsugAwards2008.pdf

Previous version of DrGeo was written in C++ with an embedded Scheme
interpretor for scripting and user programming. Really the DrGeo
Smalltalk version is much more user friendly when it comes to user
programming, thanks to the  Smalltalk IDE tools and image experience.

You are nice to your learner planing to use Smalltalk, a big boost in
ease to learn programming.

Unfortunately, I have not yet re-written the companion book for DrGeo
programming in Smalltalk. (A previous version in Spanish for the C++
version http://documentation.ofset.org/drgeo/es/drgenius.html)

Any organisation willing to support its rewrite?

Hilaire