[squeak-dev] Re: printing collections

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 08:51:24 UTC 2009

2009/11/4 Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>:
> Nicolas Cellier wrote:
>>
>> The main use I see is to quickly modify in an inspector, especially in
>> the debugger.
>
> Fair enough. But in this case, wouldn't it be better if we had a "copy
> storeString" item in the inspector (we already have "copy name" for the name
> of the variable)? Or even "show storeString"? I really dislike the idea to
> clutter something that everyone needs to understand every single time they
> look at with stuff that only a few people may use in even fewer situations.
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

I don't buy this one. The feature would be usefull for simple objects
only, and I prefer to stay away from instVarAt: 1 put: (...) and
infinite loop on cyclic object graphs as proposed by current
implementation of storeString for any other Object.
A traditional inspector window does a better job.

Maybe we should better close this subject :)