Squeak direction: Was: Re: [squeak-dev] Terms of Reference: discussion is open

Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez miguel.coba at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 03:22:30 UTC 2009

El vie, 06-11-2009 a las 02:49 +0200, Igor Stasenko escribió:
> 2009/11/6 Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez <miguel.coba at gmail.com>:
> > El vie, 06-11-2009 a las 01:24 +0200, Igor Stasenko escribió:
> >
> >> Needless to say, i'm not satisfied with current state of art.
> >
> > It appears that everybody isn't satisfied but that changes nothing.
> >
> > I think that what the board lacks is a real leadership, not like the
> > leadership we have seen, but a real leadership.
> >
> > One that can envision a glorious future
> > One that can find the indispensable steps that lead to that glorious
> > future.
> > One that risk its popularity and sleeps thinking that the next day can
> > be removed from the throne.
> > One that risk lost part of the troops when following that glorious
> > future.
> > One that values the remaining troops as the ones having the same vision.
> >
> > Which one of these has the Squeak board?
> >
> > It doesn't have a glorious future envisioned for Squeak, that can be
> > expressed in some clear text and not in vague words and statements.
> > It can layout a list of basic steps to reach that goal.
> > It tries to be good with everyone by not taking decisions that could
> > upset some of them.
> > Don't want to loose more troops to bad decisions but they are losing
> > them because it can show them a path to follow.
> >
> > I don't know a lot of history, but it is very hard to believe that
> > Alexander asked the troops if they wanted to go to conquer Asia or to
> > continue to build their beautiful homes and finding new techniques of
> > horse riding.
> >
> > So, the summary appears to me, is that there is no future yet for
> > Squeak.
> >
> Well said.
> But if we talking about glorified historical parallels, lets take a
> look on a few other persons to be more
> objective.
> Napoleon - tried to repeat the glorious deeds of the past, defeated
> and ended up dying alone on distant island.
> Hitler - wanted better, glorious future for Germans, and defeated by
> allies, who didn't shared his view.
>
> And at last one - Chengis Khan. One who built the most powerful empire
> and most biggest one in the history.
> But what is left from this empire? Culture - no. It was assimilated by
> different cultures. Architecture? No.
> We have a lot of architecture remnants from more distant past, but
> nothing worth mentioning from the glorious mongol empire.
> The only thing, which left is a memory about raging mongol cavalry,
> which was a most feared power in the middle ages world.
> And the stories about destruction and mass slaughter, when mongols
> defeating another country and sieze control of it.

Even though the examples are related I think that they are not related
to the problem at hand. The example I put was not about posthumous
leftovers or historic admiration. My example was about contemporary
choice making in order to reach some tangible and concrete goals before
the death comes for us.
With its twenty-something years Alexander was more capable of making
decisions and lead ahead the people in the search of a dream.

I repeat, no matter if the dream is to be accomplished with the help of
gods or by own hand and sweat. Isn't also about if the future persons
will qualify good or bad its own decisions. He just want to fulfill a
dream before dying.

What is the dream of Squeak before dying?
Whom is to lead the hordes to reach that dream before the times change
and the historians study it as a simple academic, incomplete and
dead-before-time effort?

Better to die trying something magnificent and unreachable that deciding
where to go and what to do.

> Yes, of course, we could wear the dictatorship crowns and start
> fighting with watermills, losing the troops.
> But i fear this doesnt makes our chances any better to become the
> glorious and successfull.

Even Don Quixote went for its crazy dreams. That is not something you
can deny him. The action by itself it is worth the effort.

--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx