Squeak direction: Was: Re: [squeak-dev] Terms of Reference:

Gary Dunn osp at aloha.com
Fri Nov 6 20:35:00 UTC 2009

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 19:53:48 +0200 Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/11/6 Miguel Enrique Cob Martinez <miguel.coba at gmail.com>:
>> El vie, 06-11-2009 a las 07:22 -0300, Juan Vuletich escribi:
>>
>>> Hey, nice talk. Now, what are your own great dreams with Squeak? What
>>> are you doing to pursue them?
[snip]

>> My question, in simple terms is, what are the goals of Squeak. Something
>> like, for example:
>>
>> - minimal under 10 MB core image.
>> - Etoys removal
>> - All packages removed from image and easily loaded from squeak source
>> - In core only collections, compiler, kernel and I/O.
>> - Purge of squeaksource or new squeak source with maintained packages
>> - fix of squeakmap mess
>> - new framework for managing packages/dependencies/configuration
>> (sake/packages, metacello, other) in next minimal squeak core
[snip]

> you are smart enough to see the Squeak's shortest reachable goals
> (listed above) in same way as i do.
> Manifest the plan and milestones , and i (and i hope many others) will
> support you.

My interest in squeak is as a foundational part of the Open Slate Project. My preference is to have a useful and engaging envirnment available right after installation. A leaner image has merits for experienced squeakers, but forcing new users to learn how to find and install packages in order to do anything will hinder it's success. I must confess to being a bit overwhelmed at first by the richness of squeak.
--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
osp at aloha.com
http://openslate.net/