[squeak-dev] My own Squeak direction

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Sun Nov 15 03:39:01 UTC 2009

Andreas Raab wrote:
> Folks -
>
> I feel like the recent discussion about directions left us without
> much progress in terms of where we think Squeak is headed. I actually
> don't think this is particularly hard to formulate, since as we all
> know, Squeak will be headed where we make it head to. In other words,
> I think we could come up with a pretty good idea of where Squeak will
> be headed if those people who actually contribute tell a little bit
> more about their interests and directions.

No matter how many times we said this, from what I see in responses to
this thread, it seems people still don't get it.

> So let me be the first to start here:
>
> My long-term vision for Squeak is to bring it back to being a medium
> for personal dynamic media. I want Squeak to be a fun, educational,
> small, dynamic, media-centric environment. My current immediate
> directions include:
>
> * Making the system be more modular. Adding the Morphic TextEditors,
> refactoring Project, being able to unload various packages are in line
> with that. Expect more from me in this area as time allows.
>
> * Figuring out how to load packages, projects, etc back in. I haven't
> done much about this yet, but we desperately need better tools for
> (roughly speaking) "loading apps". Squeakmap gets some things right,
> Universes address others, both aren't very well integrated with
> Monticello, and by the end of the day the UIs for all of them suck.
>
> * Restore the media facilities. I'd really like to see the next Squeak
> version bring back Speech, bring back Games, bring back Wonderland
> etc. All in loadable project form so that people can explore them
> based on a small initial foot print.
>
> I'd be interested in hearing what others working on and in Squeak have
> to say about their own directions. Together it should give a pretty
> comprehensive understanding about where Squeak is headed in practice.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

My own Squeak direction is described in
http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html . As it seems to be
incompatible with that of many in the community, it requires a fork.

Aside from that, I fully support your direction, and I'll try to keep
helping. Of course, I'd be delighted if at least some of my objectives
were adopted for Squeak too.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich