[squeak-dev] 64 bit images

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Nov 15 14:20:27 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 02:39:24PM +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 15.11.2009, at 03:46, Travis Kay wrote:
>
> >  I would like to see [..] 64bit (image too)
>
> Curious: what would you do if you could have a huge image?

Good question. The original Squeak 64-bit image is about five years
old now, and does not seem to have attracted much interest of a practical
nature:

  http://squeakvm.org/squeak64/dist3/Squeak64-3.8g-6548.image.tar.gz

An updated version of this image, suitable for use on current Squeak
VMs, is here:

  http://squeakvm.org/squeak64/sq64-dtl.zip

You do need to build your own VM to use this image. There is nothing
exotic about it, you just have to click the "64-bit image" checkbox
on VMMaker to activate the 64-bit object memory version.

John McIntosh with support from ESUG is planning to do new work for
a Mac VM, including 64-bit object memory support. Hopefully this will
encourage new interest in the topic.

Help needed: Currently there is no way to convert new images (Squeak trunk,
Cuis, Pharo, etc) into 64-bit format. If anyone has some expertise with
SystemTracer, it would be good to get this working.

  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=5239
  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=5240

Dave