[squeak-dev] My own Squeak direction

Ronald Spengler ron.spengler at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 17:36:05 UTC 2009

Clever title:)

I'm new around here, but here's a short list of things that I fancy
(being the Fancy New Guy) doing with Squeak:

- Media. I want to kill Powerpoint. I've been playing around with a
minimalist "app" which hopes to fool the user into thinking they're
using a presentation program. I love how I can just drop things into
my image and get objects to play with.

- Themes. Something like Polymorph, but leaner. Working on it.

- Music. I want to make music with Squeak. Has anyone heard of Siren
or DynaPiano?

After this point, beware of crazy ideas...

- User interface. I want to jettison my desktop environment and live
in a Squeak image all the time. I'm sick of hating things about my
desktop environment, and finding that the cost of changing them is too
high. This desire necessitates the following three research ideas...

- Embed Firefox or WebKit in the Squeak VM.
- Implement a reparenting X11 window manager in Squeak, allowing it to
run GTK apps (like Firefox)
- Embed the v8 Javascript VM into the Squeak VM and then work on
making Scamper standards compliant. I tried rolling v8 into a plugin a
few months back, but found my ignorance of the Squeak VM to be a
barrier.

I think that modelessness is the way to go. I still need web-mode,
which is really the only thing (I want) that's hard to do entirely in
Smalltalk.

This thread is a lot more fun than the one where we argue about who's
ideas are *the* direction! :)

--
Ron