[squeak-dev] My own Squeak direction

Stéphane Rollandin lecteur at zogotounga.net
Sun Nov 15 18:27:37 UTC 2009

> My long-term vision for Squeak is to bring it back to being a medium for
> personal dynamic media. I want Squeak to be a fun, educational, small,
> dynamic, media-centric environment.

Great. There is nothing like Squeak in that arena, that's where it
belongs IMO.

> I'd be interested in hearing what others working on and in Squeak have
> to say about their own directions.

I'm building on top of Squeak. The base you propose, a medium for
personal dynamic media, is exactly what I need to be maintained. On top
of that I'm developing a very dynamic and rather ambitious musical
composition environment. It is a slow-paced long-term project, steadily
evolved for almost ten years now (although it did not start in Squeak).
My main need is that Squeak remains mostly backward-compatible, as it
currently is (I'm talking about the trunk).

At the moment the only sore point I have is the lack of MIDI support in
the linux VM.

Otherwise, rather pleased at the current spirit in squeak-dev.

best,

Stef