[squeak-dev] Re: My own Squeak direction

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Mon Nov 16 13:01:55 UTC 2009

Andreas Raab wrote:
> Juan Vuletich wrote:
>> No matter how many times we said this, from what I see in responses
>> to this thread, it seems people still don't get it.
>
> Not unexpectedly ;-) I can see both sides though; on the one hand it's
> difficult to describe exactly where Squeak will be without having a
> set of known resources. On the other hand, the question of where
> Squeak is headed is certainly a fair one. As a result, I'm trying to
> answer the question by looking at the resources that are being
> committed to improving Squeak, i.e., summarize what people actually
> work on and try to project where this will get us.

Amen!

>> My own Squeak direction is described in
>> http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html . As it seems to be
>> incompatible with that of many in the community, it requires a fork.
>
> I don't think that the goals are incompatible. With more work on
> modularity, I think that your goals can be a subset of those in the
> larger community (just as my goals are a subset of those).

Yes, you are right. When modularity in Squeak gets good enough, Cuis
could merge back. That would be great.

>> Aside from that, I fully support your direction, and I'll try to keep
>> helping. Of course, I'd be delighted if at least some of my
>> objectives were adopted for Squeak too.
>
> Absolutely. I agree with a lot of what you're writing. I have some
> different ideas in various areas but on a fundamental level I think we
> have fairly compatible ideas.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

I'd like to know about where we don't agree.Your opinion is very
valuable to me. Besides, it would help me think on making optional
packages for a Squeak kernel with the specific features of Cuis I'd like
to keep.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich