[squeak-dev] Seaside support in Squeak (Re: My Own Squeak Direction)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Nov 17 01:46:47 UTC 2009

Levente Uzonyi wrote:
> According to the seaside website, squeak is not supported anymore:
> http://www.seaside.st/download/squeak

Then let's fix it. What it takes is someone to write up a page of how to
install Seaside in Squeak, test the instructions, put them up on
Squeak.org and ask the folks at Seaside.st to link to it. You can
probably copy most of the Pharo instructions verbatim. Any takers?

> Seaside 3.0 works in trunk, but not for long:
>
> I'm sure that squeak won't have all the changes that pharo has, and
> pharo won't have all the changes that squeak has, even at the lowest level.

Given that Seaside runs across a wide variety of Smalltalks I think that
supporting Squeak is somewhere between straightforward and trivial.
Unless you mean to imply that the above bug report is a fundamental
invariant of Seaside which happens to be violated in Squeak in which
case I'd argue that we should probably fix it if all the other
Smalltalks do it that way.

> They are similar but have different directions, different goals and the
> gap between them is getting wider every day.

I don't see this as a problem. Seaside (as a project) can have no
interest in splintering their basis so that only a few implementations
can and will support it. To the contrary - I would expect that
cross-dialect projects like Seaside do more for standardization than any
committees will ever do since they provide practical context in which to
make decisions in corner cases.

 From a practical perspective, I feel quite comfortable with saying that
Seaside support is a priority to the point that it might be driving
issues like String/Symbol comparisons, underscores in selectors etc. If
Cincom, Dolphin, GST, Gemstone and VA support a particular feature in
Seaside in a particular way, I think we should consider it as well.

Cheers,
   - Andreas