[squeak-dev] My own Squeak direction

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 09:37:17 UTC 2009

2009/11/16 Göran Krampe <goran at krampe.se>:
> Hi guys!
>
> Gotta chime in somewhere here and since Jecel mentioned DS... :)
>
> Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:
>>
>> I want it to be easy and elegant to create and share persistent objects
>> using Squeak.
>>
>> Solutions like Monticello+package universes/squeakmap are a bit too
>> complicated for me and yet don't do some things that I want.
>
> I don't associate those tools much with "persistent objects", mostly (well,
> SM can do Projects so sure...) with source code.
>
>> Deltastreams would improve that somewhat.
>
> Eventually and hopefully. Since Brest I haven't had any time at all to put
> on "private Squeaking" though. But it is still there on the back burner. :)
>
> Otherwise I:
>
> - Really like what Andreas wrote. :)
> - Will hopefully work on web stuff using Seaside in near future "for pay".
> - Continue working on Gjallar and DeltaStreams.
> - Will work on improving the CouchDB client code.
> - Am highly interested in getting Squeak running on Android, in whatever
> fashion. I am trying but its... hard to merge build systems etc.
> - Really want Squeak to "move on".
>
> We shouldn't be too afraid of changing and fixing stuff! I really like the
> latest Set/Dictionary improvements - for the simple fact that somebody
> actually DARES to touch that stuff again. More, more!

Yeah! :)
I really happy that we get to the point where such changes is possible.
I came with the idea of having sets with nils more than a year ago,
and finally there is enough critical mass of people
who not only like it, but what's more important - don't afraid to make
such changes in core system class(es).
Even more than that, i am also not satisfied seeing a Dictionary be a
subclass of Set, and also ranted about it more than 2 years ago.
And i hope, we will come with elegant & nice solution to that as well
as we did with nils in sets.

I see that with new development model, we have more and more
contributions. So, at the end, i think Board did right decision.
Yet, we have to deal with release management & image building etc
etc.. but that's another story.

> If we could also get say... some really slick concurrency mechanisms
> (Promises? Asynch messages?) either into a really good library and/or into
> the language - I really think we should stop being so afraid of modifying
> the language and its core. That is my incoherent point really.
>
> Regarding Pharo etc, IMHO it's "just a fork". And forks are good. Really. :)
> As long as we don't build fences between them (mentally or technically).

+1 i have the same view on it. More forks is more good.
Ironically, but it shows that Squeak, despite flaws & crap, has very
high development potential,
because forks possible, only when original design allows that without
much sacrifice.
So people, instead of complete rewrite of everything, could change
system incrementally to satisfy their own needs.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.