[squeak-dev] Re: Seaside support in Squeak (Re: My Own Squeak Direction)

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Thu Nov 19 20:41:01 UTC 2009

>>>>> "Chris" == Chris Cunnington <smalltalktelevision at gmail.com> writes:

Chris> There coming along great. We want to give Julian a link to a page on
Chris> squeak.org with Seaside installation instructions. Which Seaside, and
Chris> from where, is something I'm going to need to know. builder.seaside.st?
Chris> Isn't that going to become incompatible?

There should be instructions for installing production Seaside (2.8)
as well as the dev Seaside (3.0).  For the latter, describe how
to create the file-in file and use it, by pointing at builder.seaside.st.

As for versions of Squeak, the instructions should presume both 3.10.2, and
Squeak-trunk, with caveats that either or both of -trunk and/or 3.0 Seaside
might be broken for short periods of time, and at some point, 3.10.2 might
*not* necessarily work with 3.0 Seaside after some future release.

Chris> I'd like to elect myself dictator of official instructions and
Chris> videos. We'd create a text page on squeak.org and link to a resource
Chris> housing screncasts such as YouTube. So we have a YouTube channel where
Chris> the official getting-started-with-Squeak videos are.

We have a Vimeo Squeak area, which can support longer videos than youtube.
I think you're already a member there, but if not, just ask to join.

Chris> They'd be official because the Squeak board has seen them and signed
Chris> off on them.

At this point, what the SOB is doing is empowering a "Squeak Seaside Support
Team", which *you* have now volunteered to lead until you aren't. :)

What we're signing off on is *you*, not each action you and your team members
take.  Of course, like any team, the SOB acting on the behalf of the community
might meddle, but let's first start by trusting that you'll do the right
thing.

Having said that, I'll be following this closely as well.